This vegan cauliflower aguachile recipe is a spicy Mexican style ceviche with lime, jalapeño peppers, cilantro, onion, cucumber, garlic, and no oil.
Nico’s note: this is Layla’s recipe that she made for father’s day. We’re sharing it with you.
Aguachile is a spicy Mexican variation of ceviche, it’s usually made with raw shrimp or fish that is marinated and “cooked” in a spicy mix of lime juice, serrano or jalapeno peppers, and cilantro.
This vegan and oil-free variation of aguachile is made with cauliflower and is so full of flavor that you won’t even miss the fish.
We also added some of the cucumber to the blended juice mix and a clove of garlic to give it an extra kick. We used jalapeños, however if you want a spicier version you can use serrano peppers. For a milder version use just one jalapeño and remove the veins/seeds.
You can serve this vegan cauliflower spicy ceviche with corn tostadas, corn tortilla chips or plantain chips. You can also add slices of avocado right before serving it.
Cauliflower spicy ceviche (aguachile style)
- 1 small cauliflower
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeños use serranos for a spicier version or remove veins/seeds for less spicy version
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cucumber leave skin on if it’s an English cucumber or peel and remove seeds if not
- ½ bunch cilantro washed
- 8 limes juiced
- Salt to taste
- Wash and cut the cauliflower into large chunks. Boil the cauliflower in a small amount of water for about 3-5 minutes or until it’s tender but not too soft. Remove from the heat and let it cool down.
- Meanwhile place the red onion slices in a bowl with cold water and rinse them well – this helps remove the bitterness.
- In a blender, place the jalapeños (cut into large chunks), the garlic clove, ½ of the cucumber (cut into large chunks), the cilantro, half of the lime juice, and a few pinches of salt. Blend until you have a smooth juicy mix without any chunks.
- Cut the cooked cauliflower into small bite size pieces. Add the rinsed red onion slices to the cauliflower, add the rest of lime juice, salt to taste and mix well.
- Add the blended cilantro lime juice mix to the cauliflower onion, mix well and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Two hours is ideal.
- When ready to serve, cut the remaining half cucumber into slices and use it decorate the serving bowl. You can also add avocado slices on top. Serve with corn tostadas or chips.