Sometimes we cook enough for dinner to have leftovers for the next day. Our kids are 14 and 11 at the moment, and of course they go to school. The cafeteria options are not great, nothing like what Layla and I could have when we were growing up. So, like many parents, we give them a lunch box that they take in their backpack. In this case, we did not have any leftover.
A cheese and guacamole sandwich that both kids like
So when I got up at 5:30am with kid #1 (yes, 5:30), I thought about something that could make both breakfast for them and lunch. Also, because they can sometimes be picky, one kid has his own things that he doesn’t eat. This recipe had to satisfy not having a lot of time on hand, ingredients we had in the fridge, be nutritious, and that both kids would like.
For this sandwich I used whole grain bread, a little bit of French mustard, grated mozzarella cheese. Then I did a quick version of a guacamole. Technically, we can debate if it can be truly labeled as such. I did not use cilantro or any hot pepper. Rather, it’s only avocado, lemon juice, and onions. We could therefore call it a cheese and avocado sandwich. But it’s more than that. Anyway, onto the recipe.
Cheese and guacamole sandwich
- 8 slices Whole grain sandwich bread
- 1 Avocado
- 0.25 Onion
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Cup Grated mozzarella
- 2 tbsp French mustard
- Get your ingredients ready and start the oven on High Broil mode.
- Spread a thin layer of French mustard on all 8 bread slices, then cover with mozzarella cheese and place in oven on high broil for 3 minutes. Depending on the proximity to the heat resistance the cheese and bread will melt faster. Monitor every 30 seconds until you get full melting and a light crust.
- Cut the avocado in half, carve the edible area and place it into a bowl. With a fork, mush it, then add the lemon juice and diced onions. If the lemon is small you can use the full juice, if it is larger you may need it all. The guacamole may become too liquid.
- Add the guacamole to the toasted bread and cheese on 4 of the 8 bread and cheese slices.
- Put the remaining 4 slices on top so the guacamole fits in the center.
Did you find what you were looking for?