After doing a few oatmeal recipes with fruits and sometimes chocolate, it felt appetizing to vary pleasures by adding more savory flavor. This natto, celery and oatmeal salad with no-oil lemon dressing provides a savory bowl with French mustard. Whole-foods plant-based no-oil (WFPBNO) recipe.
One thing that celery does, when adding it to a dish, is to add crunchiness. It is a little bit like eating an apple, or nuts. The human brain likes to sometimes have something harder, crunchy, to make a dish satisfying. Celery is also a top source of plant-based nitrate, which seems to help improve cardio-vascular function.
As for natto, I found lemon juice (lime in today’s recipe) to make a nice food pairing with it. Pairing natto with lemon takes away some of the fermented
Last, this was very quick to make, under 10 minutes as most dishes we do on this site. Your time is precious, and so is feeling good after a meal, and I think this dish helps on both objectives.
As for drink to go with the salad, tea is a wonderful choice. I used Japanese green tea, but you can go with Oolong, or a hot juice like a hot orange juice with tea combo.
Natto, celery and oatmeal salad with no-oil lemon dressing
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 lime
- 1 tbsp French mustard
- 3 oz celery (about 2 stems)
- 3 oz natto
- Put oats and water in a pan, bring to boil then simmer for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, squeeze the lime juice and mix it with the French mustard in a small bowl.
- Rinse and finely chop the celery. Open the natto box.
- In a mid-size bowl, place the cooked oatmeal at the bottom, then sprinkle the celery on top. Add the natto and top with the salad dressing.