People like to debate whether the most important meal of the day is breakfast, lunch or dinner. Some say it’s dinner because it is a social time for family members who are busy in the morning and often out during lunch time to get together at the table and share time around a dish. Others say it’s lunch, because it can be the most filling meal of the day, and it’s far away from sleep time, so you can fully digest what you eat by the time you go to bed. Then others say the most important meal is breakfast.
The case for breakfast is two-fold. First, your body is awakening and in prime state to refill some energy to start the day. Second, it is the time of the day you are most likely to be home. You may not choose the ingredients for your lunch at the restaurant or the cafeteria. It might be the same for dinner, visiting friends, or someone cooks for you at home, or you might be part of the community who skips dinners. So which meal is left with the highest probability that you can choose your ingredients and be home? Breakfast.
Time is often scarce, so my take on breakfast recipes (and cooking in general) is that things need to taste good, nourish you with whole foods, and be very time efficient. It is the spirit of most recipes on this site.
This orange banana oatmeal with soy milk and passion fruit uses raw oats (ideally soaked 10 to 20 mins before eating) as well as chia seeds to make a balanced and filling breakfast.
Orange banana oatmeal with soy milk and passion fruit
- 1 cup oatmeal (plain dry oats)
- 1.5 cups soy milk
- 1 orange
- 1 banana
- 1 passion fruit
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Place the oats and soy milk in a large bowl. Add chia seeds and mix well. Let the combination soak while you prepare the fruits.
- Slice the banana, peel and cut the orange in small chunks, add to the bowl.
- Mix well again. Finish by opening the passion fruit and pouring the juice with seeds into oatmeal breakfast.
- Serve immediately or let the 10 minutes of soak time complete to obtain a softer and easier-to-chew oat consistency.
Did you find what you were looking for?