Robert Marchand, the centenarian cyclist, has a motto when it comes to eating. Actually, he has a few. Not a hundred, but a few. One of them is: always change your ingredients as the week goes on. The idea is to diversify the nutrients, avoid deficiencies by eating a little bit of everything. His food choices are mostly vegan, with sometimes an egg, sometimes some fish, sometimes a steak. Just one thing: no dessert, no processed sugar. As our week went by, we haven’t had green beans in a while. Nor have we had red pepper either.
This sauteed vegetables dish took just under a half hour to cook and about 20 minutes to prepare, which, including eating it, adds up to about an hour from start to finish. That’s not bad, and it made for a tasty dinner tonight. I could not resist adding some olive oil at the end once the dish was on the plate. Olive oil makes most things taste better.
Nutritionally, the variety of colors offers plenty of phytonutrients. Sweet potatoes provide a vitamin-packed carb option with a better glycemic index than regular potatoes. This sauteed green beans dish is 100% vegan and kids-friendly. Thanks to the taste of sweet potatoes, red pepper, and spices, our kids found it easy to eat and Alex even came back for a second plate of it.
Sauteed green beans with sweet potatoes and red pepper
- 2 lbs green beans
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 red pepper
- 10 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp avocado oil
- 0.5 cup water optional
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- Cut the edges of the green beans, then cut them into 2 or 3 bite-size chunks and rinse them well.
- Peel the sweet potatoes, cut them into small pieces and rinse.
- Remove the seeds from the red pepper, cut it into pieces and rinse.
- Pour the avocado oil into a large wide pan or skillet, then start sauteeing the potatoes on medium heat for 10 minutes. Stir every 3-4 minutes.
- Add the green beans, red pepper, crushed garlic cloves, salt and pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes on high heat. Stir occasionally.
- Optional: add 1/2 cup of cold water to the vegetable mix to prevent from becoming too dry or from burning. Stir, the mix will quickly absorb the water. Cover with lid to retain humidity and let it finish cooking on low to medium heat another 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Did you find what you were looking for?