To change a little from the previous mushroom zucchini and baby kale vegan pizza, which I made with tomato sauce, today’s lunch recipe uses barbecue sauce. These BBQ pizzas can be vegan since the sauce contains no animal product. To stay in the target plant-based, low fat theme, this Vegan eggplant bell pepper BBQ pizza recipe also does not add any oil.
To enhance the flavors, we used several dry and fresh herbs, as well as hot sauces. On the pizza itself, I added some thinly sliced pieces of onion as well as dry oregano. The BBQ sauce already provided plenty of spice, and this created a new dimension.
Once baked, we sprinkled some chopped fresh basil, and everyone could top some extra spice on their plate that they liked. Hot sauce was one option, with the featured photo here showing sriracha.
Personally, I wanted a little extra moisture but felt the pizza already had enough spices. So I sprinkled a few drops of balsamic vinegar on this vegan eggplant bell pepper BBQ pizza, and this accomplished both goals.
Vegan eggplant bell pepper BBQ pizza (no oil)
- 1 lb pizza dough
- 4 tbsp barbecue sauce
- 1 bell pepper
- 0.5 eggplant
- 0.25 red onion
- dry oregano
BBQ pizza decoration and toppings
- fresh basil
- balsamic vinegar
- hot sauce
- Pre-bake, boil or steam the eggplant for about 20 minutes, sliced in two.
- Heat the oven to 500 F.
- Roll the pizza dough and spread the barbecue sauce evenly.
- Chop the bell pepper, eggplant, red onion, and lay them on the dough and BBQ sauce base.
- Sprinkle dry oregano and place in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Once ready, remove from oven and the finely chopped fresh basil, and your preferred additional seasoning (hot sauce, balsamic vinegar, etc).