Our family is not vegan. But every now and then we like to minimize the amount of animal products and animal proteins that we eat. In practice that means fruit salads in the morning, in many cases. Some of the times I want some savory option. By savory I don’t mean a lot of salt. In fact eating too much salt problem with the modern diets. This recipe uses zero salt and the only ingredients that might contain a tiny amount of sodium is the balsamic vinegar.
Can vegan dishes be filling enough? Try this vegan oatmeal with avocado and tomatoes
Vegan oatmeal with avocado and tomatoes
- 0.5 cup plain oatmeal
- 0.75 cup water
- 0.5 avocado
- 2 small tomatoes You can also use a few cherry tomatoes.
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 leaf fresh basil
- Place the oats in a large bowl and add the water. Microwave at maximum strength for 2 mins and 30 seconds.
- Peel the half avocado and cut it in small chunks. Cut the small tomatoes in 8 pieces, or cherry tomatoes in half. Cut the basil leaf.
- Add the avocado, tomatoes, basil and pine nuts to the oatmeal.
- Sprinkle the olive oil and balsamic vinegar and mix gently.