The inspiration for this natto, brown rice and avocado dish came from fresh ingredients I had at my disposal today. Unlike the previous dish which included an egg, this plate is completely vegan and contains no animal product.
Vegan flavors and pairings for natto, brown rice and avocado
When there is enough time to cook brown rice, our family usually prefers to use it over white rice. We like the taste, consistency, and flavor relative to white rice. It does take an hour to make. So you need some preparation and patience. Alternatively, you can make a large pan of it, store it and use it for multiple meals. This makes the subsequent dishes much faster.
Natto goes well with either type of rice. I found that it also goes well with the taste and consistency of avocado, and decorated it with the customary green onions, a few small tomatoes, French mustard, and sprinkled some soy sauce and olive oil. This recipe is gluten-free, as long as the soy sauce you are using does not contain gluten. Check the label for this.
Natto, brown rice and avocado
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 3 ounces natto usually the size of 1 pack
- 1 avocado
- 1 green onion
- 1 tbsp French mustard
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 small tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Cook the brown rice
- Cut the avocado in two, remove the seed. Peel the skin gently with a small sharp knife. Lay the halves on the plate and cut them in slices.
- Add the natto, tomatoes, and chopped green onion.
- Finish with your preferred dressing. For this recipe we used French mustard, low-sodium soy sauce and olive oil.
There are so many ways to enjoy natto. Check out the list of natto recipes for more ideas.