One way to think about cooking with an air fryer is that it is not that different from a convection oven. Many cooks tend to use the two devices for similar recipes. But air fryers have something special, which is they make the process easier and faster. It may not sound like a lot, but time consumption and perceived difficulty are some of the top reasons why people don’t bother cooking at home. Air fryers tend to be small to medium sized, and they warm up instantly. They also make oil-free cooking available to all. What’s not to like?
During the cooking process for this Eggplant and plantains appetizer in air fryer, open the air fryer a couple of times and reverse the sides for the eggplant and plantain banana slices. It will help them cook evenly and prevent them from getting brown. They turned out as good as they would have been through an oven. This air fryer was a good buy.
Eggplant and plantains appetizer in air fryer (oil-free)
- 1 plantain banana (platano in Spanish; use a ripe one preferably)
- 1 eggplant (ideally 2 small eggplants or 1 regular size)
- oil-free chimichurri
- Peel the plantain banana and cut it in slices about half an inch thick.
- Rinse and slice the eggplant (I used two small ones for a smaller diameter), with slices about an inch thick.
- Place on the air fryer using multiple levels to let the air go through unblocked. Cook for about 18 minutes on 400 F.
- At about half time, open the drawer and flip slices upside down for an even baking process.
- Make the oil-free chimichurri or your dipping sauce of choice.
- Serve immediately.